Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Oh, Those Young Ambassadors.

One of the things about owning a survivor blog is the ability to write on whatever is on my mind. I was thinking about the Young Ambassadors of Ambassador College this evening. And though many of you may not know what I'm talking about, some might. So bear with me on this little trip down memory lane for me.  This post will be a little unusual in it's positivity when it comes to my church experience with the Worldwide Church of God. But hey. My blog, my posts. 

The Feast of Tabernacles season is coming in full swing for those who are members of the Armstrong Churches of God. (I grew up in the mother church, the Worldwide Church of God.)  And though that way of life and that experience is far, far gone in the past for me, I thought I'd take a moment to write about some young adults who were very, very big in the life of a member of the Worldwide Church of God. They were what we called "The Young Ambassadors". This post is just a reflection of my life growing up with their music.

Mike Hale (Beak), Dave Myers (Hawaiian shirt) and company


These were the college kids who had the ability to sing and dance, and were showcased worldwide
with LP's (New World Singers), Festival Productions (Festival of Music 1, 2, and 3, The Bible Hymnal), and other appearances at festival sites. These were the "celebrities" and the role models of the youth of the Church.

 Since I grew up in an extremely fundamental, conservative family in the Church, my music choices were quite limited - even to the point of being unable to participate in gym class due to their playing of rock music. But the music that was allowed in my house, whenever I wanted, day or night - were those College Kids of 18 to 22 - the Young Ambassadors. They, after all, are the ones who first introduced me to musicals like Hello, Dolly, Fiddler On the Roof, and Singing In the Rain. They also introduced me to barbershop quartets - well, kind of. And marching band pieces such as "76 trombones."

Kathy Pierce and that other dude ooo'ing to "Country that I Love"


 With these Young Ambassadors, I could talk with the animals, put on a happy face, and sing about the country that I love. Yes, the world they portrayed was one of utopian bliss, straight from a Lawrence Welk playbook. Always smiling when singing, always dancing side to side while swinging the arms. Always cheerful, bright, and blissful. Pretty much - to my youthful mind - the perfect people. The elite of the elite. The cream of the crop. The.. yes, you get the idea. I used to look at those album pictures in awe as a young child. Yes, the beautiful Renae. The Country girl Kathy. The ministerial Dave. The boyish Rick. These were the celebrities in the strange life of a child steeped in the extremes of Armstrongism. And I memorized every word of every song. For some reason, I was amazed at the abilities of their clogging, when they did their Hoe-downs at the Auditorium. I was awed at how Renae was so calm with that lion, holding it's dinner just feet away. And their royal dancing was mesmerizing.

Ross Jutsum getting his groove on while Beak strums away.


 Indeed, I share these things from the perspective of one who, at the time - was thoroughly indoctrinated in Church teachings and in Church culture. I share these things as one who had no idea whatsoever who KISS was, or the Rolling Stones. The only country singer I was allowed to listen to was the great John Denver. The classical artists I could listen to were Montavoni and Farrante and Teicher, and Liberace. I share these from the perspective of a sheltered individual whose idea of culture WAS the Young Ambassadors - and the forever juvenile antics of Mike Hale - who played Big Beak, the Wonder Chicken. BGAWK!

 There are some who might say the YA's were absolutely juvenile. And they were. They were just college kids having fun - but they did work hard at what they did. I was even more impressed with how it was created. Word has it that Good ol' "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" Ross Jutsum was the brains behind the production. I've got to say - he did a pretty good job coordinating it - even though the presenting of some of the kids was just a little raw and overly rehearsed. But the best thing I saw - and remember - were that the people on that stage, clapping hands, and rocking - were actually having some fun. The audience, on the other hand were like frozen snowmen just thawed out, they were so stiff. I still don't think McNair cracked a smile once down there.

Nope. Not Smiling. Not even a little.


 Regardless of how I feel about the Church as a critic - and yes, I am a very outspoken critic - the videos and the productions that the Young Ambassadors made I do remember quite fondly. These are the songs that made up for the nursery rhymes I was not allowed to hear, or the fiction that I was not allowed to read. I may not be able to recite "This Old Man" all the way through - but I can tell you I know every word to "Climb Every Mountain" and "Hi-Ho", as well as "Mr. Piano Man."

 Yes, the Church as a whole for me was a dark, controlling, and oppressive time. But the Young Ambassadors were a little bit of a light of music shining out making the experience a little brighter. So, for any of the former YA's out there who might be reading this - I doubt it -  Dave, Rick, Kathy, Renae, or Jeff - regardless of what I write or think about the church or those of you who became ministers and the doctrines you teach - thank you for the music, for songs and singing. And for YOU, Mike - er, I mean, Big Beak - I hope you finally got accepted and got over your constant rejection from the "In Crowd" :)

Dave Myers Giving Rejecting Big Beak

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Comments are Moderated and will be reviewed by SHT. Comment unto others as you would have others comment unto you. :)