Friday, September 21, 2018

First Day of Autumn



I'll admit it.

Fall is not my favorite season.

Granted, the colors are absolutely beautiful when the dark green colors of summer transform into the brilliance of golds, reds, and yellows that bathe the world in sunset colors all day long. Yes, the temperature cools down from the blazing infernos of summer - with the hot steering wheels, the stifling humidity, and those pesky, six-legged, stinger-ridden miniature fighter jets. Fall is a welcome relief from those endless days of heat, punctuated only by the occasional torrent of rain and thunder - which bring the rare cooling breeze of refreshment.

Fall is the foreshadowing season of my least favorite season - winter. Fall basically is saying "everything is about to die." And that's why I do not like fall.

I can try to look on the bright side of the whole picture. Thanksgiving is in the fall, with the Macy's parade - a tradition I always watch every year, since I was a young child. I'm more likely to walk and exercise more in the cooler temperatures. And there's pumpkin. I just cannot get past the fact that right beyond the autumnal equinox is a world of grey, white, cold, ice, snow, and wind - and the worst of all, an hour of less daylight, where the sun goes down just before five o' clock in the afternoon.

This is going to be work - to reduce the negativity of the occasion and look at it with some redemption of positivity. And so, I will force myself, right here, and right now, to come up with five things that I love about fall. And if you care to comment and do the same, I'd welcome it as a motivator.

Okay, so let's start with the first thing that I am thinking hard to love about fall.

Still thinking.

And.... Still thinking.

Ah. I believe I have something. That cool, clean, feeling first thing in the morning. Yes, that is one thing I love about fall.

Second thing. Oh yes, here's one. New Episodes of amazing programming! No more re-runs of Jeopardy, and Wheel of Fortune - and evening comedies. And, The Voice. There's something to look forward to.

Third thing. And, I'm stuck.

Well, I came up with two. I'm sure if I really tried hard, I could come up with a few more. I promise you when my favorite season, Spring, comes in a little more than six months from now, after what's certain to be snow, sleet, freezing rain, ice, wind, and rain - I'll have a lot to say about that.

Enough to make up for the three things I couldn't come up with, to make it all even.

For those who do love the fall, enjoy it. Rake up a big pile of leaves and jump on in them like you did when you were seven. And try not to think about that winter just down the road.

Unless you live in California, If this is you, in the tradition of the late Johnny Carson of decades past:

May a large cicada leave it's broken shell by your cornucopia on Thanksgiving. 



1 comment:

  1. Fall is my favorite season and here are my reasons why:

    1. It's finally cooling down from this horrible heat. It's a lot easier to get warm than to cool down.
    2. The beautiful colors of all the different kinds of trees. I love colors!
    3. The mosquitos and pesky bugs are going to be gone! No more bugs!
    4. Shuffling through the fallen leaves. I love that sound. Since I don't hae to rake them up, I can enjoy them. I try to find the perfect leaf of red, yellow and green. Beautiful.
    5. There is nothing better than breathing in the fresh crispness of fall air! It smells different than the heat and humidity of summer air.
    6. Watching the squirrels and chipmunks storing away nuts and seeds for the winter to come.
    7. No more extreme weather of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms. And having lovely sunshine pouring down through cool air. A nice changefrom the searing heat of summer.

    Fall has Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the preperations of the winter holidays. I love fall. Mmmmwah!

    ReplyDelete

All Comments are Moderated and will be reviewed by SHT. Comment unto others as you would have others comment unto you. :)